[TowerTalk] Critters and Lightning

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Critters and Lightning
From: Roger Parsons <ve3zi@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 14:11:23 +0100 (BST)
Just a little anecdote.

I have been having some problems with noise on my K9AY
array, but only when one particular set of relays was
energised. Having pulled everything apart several
times (on the grounds that it had to be my wiring
error), I eventually found that some critter had
carefully bitten through a control cable so that just
one wire was broken, but the ends were touching. It
read OK on an Ohm-meter test, but was intermittent
(like a buzzer contact) when the relays were
powered.....

I have had major damage in the past from lightning
strikes on my remote Beverages, but have never been
able to find a place where an actual strike took
place. Whilst doing a stroll along one of them last
week I noticed that a tree not 2m from one of the
wires had been very recently completely burnt up by a
strike, but the wire was not touched and there was no
damage to the system. Funny stuff, lightning!

73 Roger
VE3ZI

now.
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/