Re: [TowerTalk] Fw: Rohn 45 Question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fw: Rohn 45 Question
From: Ian White GM3SEK <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 21:12:06 +0100

Blue Loctite is excellent for many antenna jobs. It lubricates as you
tighten the threads (prevents galling of stainless steel), locks the
threads together so they won't vibrate loose, and seals them against
corrosion... yet you can still unscrew the fastenings for maintenance.
Clever stuff.

However, threadlock is only a special type of glue, so it won't work if
the threads in the rotor casting are loose or corroded. The answer then
is to re-thread the holes to a larger size, and use *red* Loctite (the
permanent locking grade) to fix lengths of stainless steel studding into
the casting. The two parts of the rotor can then be held together by
nyloc nuts, on the underside where they're easy to work on.

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek