Re: [TowerTalk] Fw: Rohn 45 Question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fw: Rohn 45 Question
From: Ian White GM3SEK <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 09:45:50 +0100
Charles Gallo wrote:
>...snip...
>>>Is there a shelf life one should worry about ?
>
>>>Thanks, Dick, W1KSZ
>
>> Not that I have ever noticed with 242. A small bottle lasts me for
>> years, and it always seems the same.
>
>Officially?  Or Unofficially?
>
>Circa Mid 1980s, Loctite both changed it's part numbers, and put a
>shelf life on all their products.  It was explained to me by the local
>loctite rep that the change had everything to do with the new Mil-specs
>that were coming through at that time (WS-6536 if I remember right).
>That spec required all chemicals to have a shelf life, so loctite put
>one on their products.
>
>That said the rep also said "if it looks good, it IS good" - I still
>have a BIG bottle of blue loctite that had to be replaced because it
>was the "dateless" kind - still works fine
>
>BTW for those of you who say "Loctite cures due to lack of oxygen" -
>that's partly right It won't cure unless there is no oxygen, but it
>also needs a certain amount of ions (don't remember if it's + or -)
>anyway, that is what the loctite primer is for - if you are working
>with passivated stainless, please use the primer, or it won't cure

Thanks, Charlie - that's excellent information.

As regards curing time, we come back to Jim's warning that there's more
than one "it". According to the data sheet, 242 will cure on stainless
or passivated surfaces, but more slowly than it does on mild steel.
http://tds.loctite.com/tds5/docs/242-EN.pdf

So long as it does cure eventually, that's all we need for antenna work.
Nuts and bolts are always installed tight, and it's mostly the risk of
vibrating loose in the very long term than worries us.

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK         'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek