Re: [TowerTalk] Fw: Rohn 45 Question

To: <K7LXC@aol.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>,"Ron Todd" <ron@k4wz.com>, "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>,"Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fw: Rohn 45 Question
From: "jeremy-ca" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 14:37:26 -0400
>From what Ive heard over the past 25 or so years is that many load the
Tailtwister with roughly 1/2 the weight of the array when dealing with a
large stacked array and dual bearings. Hy-Gain doesnt specify maximum dead
weight.

Since very few would bother actually measuring the weight the rule of thumb
has been to place the full weight on it and then jack up a "hair" and then
simultaneously tightening the clamp and bearing. Naturally this requires 2
bodies on the tower.

Far from scientific but it should even keep some old wives happy.

The proof is when rotator failures are reduced from what they were or
preferably eliminated.

With just a single bearing on the top plate and the rotator located 7-10'
down in the tower a decent wind will flex the rotator plate quite noticably.
That bearing has way too much slop to my liking. Ive also seen a few
installations that use an industrial bearing block in place of the TB-3.

My Orion is the original 2300 with a few upgrades. I remember Loren (who was
the Create distributor for the USA and so aggravated with them he designed
his own) telling me to put the full weight on it. When I told him it was a
KLM 4M40 plus a 40' boom 20M and a 38' 6M on a 27' mast he sort of
hesitated. After it broke the 2nd time the 2800 upgrade came about and no
more problems.

Carl
KM1H