Re: [TowerTalk] Fw: Rohn 45 Question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fw: Rohn 45 Question
From: Ian White GM3SEK <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 11:27:45 +0100
jeremy-ca wrote:

>> So long as it does cure eventually, that's all we need for antenna work.
>> Nuts and bolts are always installed tight, and it's mostly the risk of
>> vibrating loose in the very long term than worries us.
>> --
>> 73 from Ian GM3SEK         'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
>
>Then wouldnt it be better to use a more permanent version as "long
>term"may be beyond the ability of 242 in an exposed enviroment?

I don't think there's any evidence for deterioration in exposed
environments - quite the opposite. The Loctite seals and protects
*everything* inside the thread gap, not only the two metal surfaces but
also the Loctite layer itself.

In antenna applications, most nuts and bolts would stay tight without
any kind of additional thread locking, so you're not demanding an awful
lot extra from the Loctite.

>Im sure there are solvents that would soften a permanent seal if necessary.

Precisely not - the permanent grades are designed to be resistant to
oil, gasoline and related solvents. And good luck with getting them into
the thread gap, at the top of the tower.

>The 242 lasts for about 4 months on the invisible (when dropped) screws
>on my glasses.

Been there, done that - and realised it's *exactly* the wrong place to
use 242!  When we apply Loctite to the hinge, it can't help sticking to
the part that is attached to the arms of the glasse, as well as the part
that's attached to the frame. Several times a day, then, we are levering
away at those tiny screws with a long-handled 'wrench'. As it says on
the data sheet, Loctite 242 is *designed* to be dismantled using hand
tools  :-)

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK         'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek