Re: [TowerTalk] Swapping out a T2X & Wasps...

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Swapping out a T2X & Wasps...
From: Kimberly Elmore <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 13:29:38 -0700 (PDT)
Thanks to everyone for the replies. I seems I'm not crazy -- I've just never
had to be up there when the wasps were doing their thing. Unlike some other
comments on here about their docile nature, these did not seem happy to see me.
They even seemed unhappy with each other, occasionally tangling up in what
appeared to be a fight and dropping 20-30 ft before disengaging.

Yep, I thought about the wisdom of spraying while on the tower. I only tried
while I was safetied to the tower and I was too far below where I guessed any
nest was to be even marginally effective. The pressure washer would have
allowed me to stand safely on the roof and hit any part of the tower or antenna
system, had I been able to use it.

It was a warm day, with temperatures in the upper 80s, but the mornings have
been cool (60s). As for the sting of male wasps -- whoever said they don't
sting is right!  However, to tell the difference, one must inspect them closely
and I admit that didn't make the effort.

Looks like that for awhile, anyway, all tower work will be relegated to
mornings and evenings. Oh, well, could be worse!

73,

Kim Elmore, N5OP