Re: [TowerTalk] 40-2CD

To: "Ron Chambers" <rwchambers@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 40-2CD
From: Dino Darling <dino@k6rix.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2007 01:13:59 -0800
AA6PW and I just evaluated these two antennas and the element
stepping is different.  He has an original 40-2CD and we wanted to
convert it to the W6NL Moxon based on the XM-240...
http://www.kkn.net/dayton2007/w6nl_ant.pdf

We would have to make corrections in the stepping to get the CD to
work like the XM.  They ARE different.

At 06:55 AM 12/5/2007, Ron Chambers wrote:

>Unless I am nuts I have an email from Cushcraft a few months back where I
>quizzed them about that very thing and am 99% sure they said they were the
>same.
>Will look back.
>
>Ron
>N5QQ
>

>On 12/4/07, K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net> wrote:
> >
> > I counted 66 turns on my XM240 coils.  Maybe that's the reason I had a
> > lot of trouble getting it to go low enough in frequency.
> >
> > I would expect to see some kind of difference, either element length or
> > coil turns, between the XM240 and 40-2CD.  That U shaped support channel
> > used on the XM240 significantly increases the effective diameter of the
> > element, for the length of the channel.
> >
> > Jerry, K4SAV
> >
> > Doug Renwick wrote:
> >
> > >Historically it would be best to replace the self taping SS screw and
> > >replace it with a bolt.  I drilled the hole through with a 5/32" bit,
> > >and used a 6-32 x 1 1/4" SS bolt and filed the bolt flush to the surface
> > >of the nut.  I put a #6 SS flat washer on the coil and a star washer at
> > >the nut.
> > >
> > >On my XM240 coils I counted 67 turns.  Some have reported counting 68
> > >turns.  Does anyone know if there was a design change or was this a
> > >difference between the 40-2CD and XM240?
> > >
> > >Doug

>12/5/2007 8:41 AM
>

>--

Dino - K6RIX