Re: [TowerTalk] How do I cut aluminum pipes?

To: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How do I cut aluminum pipes?
From: Jack Brindle <jackbrindle@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 11:03:10 -0800
I use a miter/chop saw with a blade meant for cutting aluminum. The
miter saw does a better job at holding the aluminum piece than a band
saw (at least for me). I think the most important thing here is to
use a saw blade that is designed for cutting aluminum. I got mine at
Home Depot a few years ago, and I don't believe it cost any more than
a good wood-cutting blade.

Then be sure to debur the tube as Bill describes. Having known Bill
for more years than I can count on my fingers and toes, I have come
to realize that he knows what he is talking about...

On Dec 28, 2007, at 10:32 AM, Bill Coleman wrote:

> On Dec 7, 2007, at 1:06 PM, Alex Malyava wrote:
>
>> Is it enough to use regular hacksaw and sand the edges or there is
>> some
>> fancy tool like pipe cutter used in plumbing?
>
> Fastest way to cut aluminum tubing, if you have a machine shop, is to
> use a band saw. With a proper blade, you can roll the tubing across
> the table and it cuts quickly.
>
> The second best way is to use a quality tubing cutter. Use a good one,
> and you can cut a tube of any size in a couple of minutes. A poor one
> will spiral down the tube.
>
> A hacksaw will work, but it's really hard to get a clean, square cut.
>
> After the cut, be sure to dress it with either a deburring tool, or
> round file or half-round file. Don't go wild with the files, as it
> will take off a lot of aluminum in short order. You're just trying to
> break off the burr. A sanding sponge, or a sanding block covered with
> very fine grit sandpaper can also be used to dress the outside edges
> of the cut.
>
> Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr@arrl.net
>              -- Wilbur Wright, 1901

- Jack Brindle, W6FB