[TowerTalk] Tower guy replacement

To: towertalk@contesting.com, aa4lr@arrl.net
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower guy replacement
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 15:48:42 EST

In a message dated 12/27/2007 7:10:13 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,

>> - Have the guy wires been replaced  regularly?

>  In all my years of reading Towertalk, this is the  first time I've seen
mention of replacing guy wires at regular  intervals.

>  How often do guy wires need to be replaced? Where  in the Rohn catalog
does it mention regular replacement of guy  wires?

    I don't recall seeing anything specifically about  guy replacement either
but there are rules of thumb for wire rope  replacement.

1)    Replace if it's damaged. This is usually kinks  or real damage.
2)    Replace if there are excessive broken strands.  For 7x19 types, that
means 6 or more strands. For EHS, ANY broken strand is a  reason to replace it.
3)    Excessive rust. This isn't surface rust but  serious deep rust. Again,
it doesn't take much to be a guy wire  problem.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH