Re: [TowerTalk] RTV? What Kind?

To: "Bill Turner" <dezrat@copper.net>,"DENNIS BRICKEY" <n4dd@embarqmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RTV? What Kind?
From: "K8RI" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 18:15:52 -0500

------------ REPLY FOLLOWS ------------

>I recommend the kind of RTV sold at pet stores for sealing glass
>aquariums. Totally waterproof (of course!) and free of the acid smell in
>other RTVs. I figure anything harmless to fish is harmless to your
>equipment.

Actually for aquariums  you can use the plain old acetic RTV with no problem
as long as you let it cure thouroughly before adding fish.  Don't use the
antimicrobial stuff though. OTOH that stuff is BAD when used around copper
or Aluminum and particularly in closed spaces such as the inside of a balun.
IOW It makes very poor potting compound.  This is where the stuff used for
pets (that don't need it) is worth the money.  If you hunt there is also an
electronic grade available. I discovered a tube of the electronic grade out
in the shop last week.  That stuff is OLD. I purchased it from the company
store and I've been retired nigh onto 12 years.  I keep a bunch of those
tubes in a Tupper Ware container.(rectangualr). Same goes for liquid
electrical tape and pipe cement.  It lasts a lot longer that way as long as
I remember to keep the cover ont he box.

73

Roger (K8RI)

To spread it easily, put a small amount of water in a dish, add a drop
or two of dish soap and wet your finger in it. The RTV won't stick to
your finger.

73, Bill W6WRT