Re: [TowerTalk] RTV? What Kind?

To: Michael Keane K1MK <k1mk@alum.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] RTV? What Kind?
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 09:03:39 -0800
Michael Keane K1MK wrote:

> The other thing about using RTV is that RTV needs
> to be exposed to moisture to cure. So you don't
> want to cover up RTV with anything like tape or
> other sealants at least until the full cure time
> of the RTV, otherwise the RTV will never fully harden but rather remain tacky.

I believe this is only true for the one-part RTVs..  the two part RTVs
do not require exposure to moisture, and tend to outgas less.

I suppose it comes down to whether one wants caulk or a potting compound.

Either type is available from the usual mail-order sources (Newark,
Mouser, Allied)

MG Chemicals is the new company that handles what used to be GE
silicones. http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/silicones/guide.html

Walks you through which one you need (then you can hope that the minimum
quantity isn't a 55 gal drum).  They cover things like thermal
conductivity (important for some applications, e.g. potting a balun or
HV power supply), cure types, etc.

For instance, a 2 part RTV12 is intended for electrical potting, is
primerless, and translucent and fairly runny (1500 cps).  RTV11 is much
stiffer, white, and much harder after cure.