Re: [TowerTalk] Feedback

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Feedback
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 09:10:09 -0500
There is a ton of information in the archives of this reflector.
http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/Towertalk/
Just pick a subject and do a search.  If the search engine is
uncooperative, try doing a Google Advanced Search only on this website.
It's a good way to learn a lot about towers (and antennas).

If you are planning a tower, getting some of that work done while you
are building can make it cheaper, like for example, having the hole dug
and concrete poured.  Builders also seem to be able to get permits
easier than most individuals.  Don't forget to research what legal hoops
you will have to jump thru before doing this, like permits, city and
county requirements, and local homeowner association requirements.

Yes conditions are poor, but DX is not dead.  You will find it much
easier with a modest antenna on a tower.  I have a 4 element SteppIR at
55 ft and an XM240 at 65 ft.  Last year I worked 279 countries (271 the
year before).  It's more difficult with this poor propagation, but it
can be done.

Jerry, K4SAV