Re: [TowerTalk] telrex question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] telrex question
From: "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 12:24:16 +0000
They are overweight and underoptimized.  And the design inherently prevents
proper optimization.  They were supposedly based on an nbs standard yagi
with a fixed element spacing and simple taper, and I doubt that the element
diameters were properly accounted for.  Their big 10m one that I modeled
would have made a decent 11m beam it was so far off.  Their 6 ele 20m
optimized down to 5 elements, as did the 8 element 15m.  Also, the older
ones were decent mechanically, though heavy... newer ones had vibration
problems because the aluminum was made stiffer and lighter, but the element
to boom attachments weren't changed so they tended to vibrate loose and
break off the boom.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net