Re: [TowerTalk] telrex question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] telrex question
From: K2EK@aol.com
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 07:59:20 EST
I had the 3 element 20M Telrex (26 foot boom) at 95 feet. It was bought new
not long before Telrex went out of business.  During contests, I would add a
2nd at 60 feet which I made from parts scavenged from their 3 el tribander.  My
reasons for choosing Telrex was I wanted something "stronger" than what was
available from CushCraft or HyGain at the time.

The combination played very well for me (winning 20m single band in both
modes of CQWW and setting a record on CW).  I suspect the hilltop location had
lot to do with it.

In retrospect, these are heavy antennas.  The through the boom mounting looks
robust.  However, it made on the tower assembly very difficult.  Worse yet,
the bolt holding the element would eat into the aluminum just enough to loosen
the mounting.  Eventually, the boom would saw through the element.  Grrrr!

Some may not like the T-match.  I cannot say why, since that is what's on my
6m and 70cm yagis from M2..

There are many antennas available now that are far better in design.  I am
planning on several more from M2 for this location.

73 and gl
Bill
K2EK

more!(http://pr