Re: [TowerTalk] Was "43ft Vertical Feeding Question and Balun Type"

To: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Was "43ft Vertical Feeding Question and Balun Type"
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 18:08:58 -0500
-- 1 --

Good question.    My target price would be around $1 G.
That is my current threshold for economic pain on this item.

If costing more, I would probably think about it awhile, or just
stick to what I have now;  but less than that would move me
to purchase immediately.

AND while we are considering marketing factors, I would not
want a single band solution I have to manually change or fiddle
with to change bands.   I purposely selected this antenna so I
would have a multi band antenna.   I do not mind having to retune
it when changing bands, but I would not want to have to go outside
and fiddle with it to do so in the Michigan Winter.

-- 2 --

Your notion of a remote power amp at the base of the antenna
is intriguing and especially solves the problem of high energy
on the coax cable.   One of the problems with these verticals
when tuned in the shack is high SWR and high energy on the
coax cable.   Remoting the PA  -and- the tuner (matching
unit) at the base of the antenna might solve multiple problems.

You may be on to something here...!

jimlux wrote:

> How much would you be willing to pay for this?

you should start thinking about remoting the PA,  too.  Put the power
amp AND matching network at the base of the radiator, and just
run low-ish power to it.