Re: [TowerTalk] 43' Vertical - Feed Point Tuner or Shack Tuner?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 43' Vertical - Feed Point Tuner or Shack Tuner?
From: Dan Zimmerman N3OX <n3ox@n3ox.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 18:37:14 -0500
On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 10:40 AM, Richard Thorne <rmthorne@suddenlink.net>wrote:

> I have a vertical in my backyard that I currently feed at the base with
> an SG-239 200 watt tuner.  I want to increase my power from 100 watts to
> 400 watts.  In order to accomplish this I either need a tuner at the
> base like an SG-235 or CG-5000 both expensive.

A couple of other options:

Fixed tuned matching networks:

http://www.n3ox.net/projects/lowbandvert

or motorize your tuner

http://www.n3ox.net/projects/servo

There are more elegant ways to do that, stepper motors, etc.

You could also do a mix of approaches.... bands where the coax loss isn't
too bad,  you use a shack tuner, bands where it is unacceptable to you, use
an external matching network. VK1OD's page could give you a guide to which
bands are worst, and you could start there.

73
Dan