Re: [TowerTalk] 43' Vertical - Feed Point Tuner or Shack Tuner?

To: "'Terry Conboy'" <n6ry@arrl.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 43' Vertical - Feed Point Tuner or Shack Tuner?
From: "Tod -MN" <tod@k0to.us>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 15:01:34 -0600
Terry:

I think you have your numbers correct. I measure about 17-jX ohms for my 60
foot, top loaded vertical on 160. My ground system has about 40 radials but
they are shorter than 1/2 wavelength on 160.

My suggestion is to put a matching network at the base of the tower and then
use the tuner in the shack to get the final adjustments. The idea is to
reduce the VSWR on the feed line to the point that the losses and voltage
peaks are of no concern. For my particular situation I use a 3 uH series
inductor into 2.95 uH shunt inductor with the shunt L on the feed line to
the shack side.

Using hand wound inductors for the two you should be able to come up with
prototype inductor values that reduce the SWR going down the line to
something better than 4:1 over the entire band of interest on 160 meters.
The final inductors should be designed to able to handle 5 amps of current
if you run 1500 watts into them. I think mine are about #10 wire, but that
is probably more than is required. The loss in the network should be less
than 5% with good #12 wire wound on PVC forms. The coils could be even air
wound if you use #10 or #8 copper wire. Reasonable Q can be achieved with
length about 1.5 to 2 times the diameter.

The series inductor can be thought of as cancelling the -jX and the shunt
inductor as a up transformer to get the resistance to about 50 ohms.

This method is sort of the reverse of the system in the recent NCJ where
Jay, WX0B, made his vertical longer than 1/4 wave so he could cancel the
reactance with a series capacitor. Here you deal with the capacitive
reactance by adding a series inductor and then step up the resistance.

Tod, K0TO