Re: [TowerTalk] Thrust Bearing Grease

To: "'mrlogs'" <mrlogs@verizon.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Thrust Bearing Grease
From: "Mike" <noddy1211@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 18:47:11 -0700
Tom,

Great advice from Dino about making a protective cover for the bearing, I
will be doing that this time.

I would pick a high temperature bearing grease, when I was at the Tashjian a
couple of weeks ago to pick something up at their manufacturing plant, I
asked about grease for the TB-2 bearing and the guy told me they just put
regular wheel bearing grease in there at the plant.  I don't know if they
paint them now, but I would put a couple of coats of Anti Rust paint on, and
especially underneath the bearing, it would take a hundred years for that
bearing to rust through, but it just looks better over time.

On my LM-470 I had to drill the holes a little larger in the tower to match
the holes in TB-2, I wanted the bolts to be an exact size to keep alignment
issues to the rotor to a minimum.  I used Stainless Steel hardware to attach
the bearing with a liberal amount of anti seize paste.

I am sure you do, but some people do not realize that you have to turn the
TB-2 Mast Locking Collar on the mast until it tightens and then lock it in
place with the set screw.

Good luck with the installation.  By the way get the Grease Gun at Harbor
Freight, you can get a nice heavy duty unit for almost nothing compared to
Sears or your local hardware store, I have had one for years with no
problems.

73, Mike K6BR