Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Bandwidth of a 1/4wl 80m vertical

To: HansLG@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Bandwidth of a 1/4wl 80m vertical
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 20:11:44 -0700
HansLG@aol.com wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Wasn't there a way with "bazooka" antenna to get a wider bandwidth of any
> antenna? I will remember that you could use a parallel resonator to extend
> the
> bandwidth on any antenna. An other way was to have a "return" parallel with

There were some articles in QST 20 or 30 years ago about using lumped
element networks to broadband a dipole.  You can get a mediocre match
from 3.5 to 4 MHz using these.  I think it stays under 2:1, but never
gets better than 1.5:1.  That may very well work OK for many users.  The
same technique could be used for a vertical of course.  Much more
effective that making the diameter larger.  Probably isn't going to work
for a 4 square, because it will screw up the phasing.

Rick N6RK