[TowerTalk] Fwd: Bandwidth of a 1/4wl 80m vertical

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Bandwidth of a 1/4wl 80m vertical
From: HansLG@aol.com
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 23:37:18 EDT
Hi there,

Wasn't there a way with "bazooka" antenna to get a wider bandwidth of any
antenna? I will remember that you could use a parallel resonator to extend the
bandwidth on any antenna. An other way was to have a "return" parallel with
the  radiator such as you see in a the folded dipole. They have wider bandwidth
than  the "simple" dipole. I have seen a wideband navy GP antenna that had a
wire from  the top to ground of the radiator that widened the bandwidth. That
should be a  possible method for your 80 M vertical. The "wire extender" should
be thinner  than the radiator.

What I remember (from my old and lousy) memory if you have different
diameter on the dipole and the "fold-over" a large diameter dipole with a thin
fo
ld-over the feeding impedance is closer to 75 ohms. If the diameters are equal
you have a feeding impedance closer to 300 ohms. Consequently, if the fold-over
 part has a larger diameter than the "dipole" part the feed impedance will be
 even higher that 300 ohms. (This was used as a trick to keep a 300 ohm
feeding impedance in TV yagi in the "old" days)

73 de N2JFS
Hans