Re: [TowerTalk] A3S Tuning Question

To: "mrlogs" <mrlogs@verizon.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] A3S Tuning Question
From: "Steve Katz" <stevek@jmr.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 08:43:04 -0700
Tom, I agree and I've tested HF beams only a few feet above ground with the
boom vertical and "aimed" towards the sky.  Usually I've accomplished that by
laying the reflector across a couple of wooden saw horses and propping the boom
up against an elevated wooden deck.

The "tuning" usually does come out about the same as having the antenna
installed up much higher, at its final resting place.

If your A3S is resonating below the bands on all bands, sounds like you need to
shorten the tubing length between the boom and the first (10m) traps.  However
be really sure the traps are installed in the correct positions and are
oriented the correct way before changing tubing lengths!

I've installed a few A3S's over the years and never had to change the
dimensions from the factory recommendations, but then that was several years
ago.  Possibly they factory goofed since then and something's wrong with the
traps, or any number of variables.

73

Steve WB2WIK/6