Re: [TowerTalk] Inverter noise (was OT: Wind Turbines and Towers - Resul

To: "Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Inverter noise (was OT: Wind Turbines and Towers - Results)
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 07:58:08 -0700
On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 07:24:38 -0700, Brian Gieryk wrote:

>I can speak first hand to this issue, as being an off-grid home, my
>trace/xantrex inverter is a reliable and constant noise source from
>1.7-2.5 MHz.

>Still working on a solution....

A good line filter ought to help. Corcom and Delta are well known mfrs.
I found a big one (45A 240/440V 3-phase) made by Tri-Mag (Visalia, CA)
at an electronic surplus house in Sunnyvale a few months ago (Halted,
also known as HSC. They have an internet presence). I haven't hooked it
up to my generator yet, but its specs suggest that it ought to be
pretty effective if you install it properly. That means RIGHT AT THE
NOISE SOURCE, and with VERY short leads and VERY good bonding from the
chassis of the filter to the chassis of the noise source.

All the major industrial electronic distributors sell line filters.
Dunno how much current you need to filter, but 10A filters are pretty
cheap.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC