Re: [TowerTalk] Equipment suggestions or donations

To: "Marlon K. Schafer" <ooe@odessaoffice.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Equipment suggestions or donations
From: "Blake Bowers" <bbowers@mozarks.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 12:08:55 -0500
Marlon,

On the hughesnet, they make self pointing dishes, motorized
jobs.  They work pretty well, I think the one in our CP is
motostat datastorm.

After we set up we have VoIP as well as internet.

Insofar as your radios, we could sell you a commercial VHF and UHF at cost,
they would be PC programmable.  You could use modified HAM
radios, but that can be problematic insofar as narrowband, P25,
complexity, etc, not to mention legality.  (Please, don't anyone start
with the "Anything is legal in an emergency")

I would even probably give you a wideband only pair of radios, but
after the begining of 2013 they will be useless on the commercial
bands, and many agencies are starting to migrate to narrowband
already.

What about the other public safety bands?  Trunking?  P25?  If
any of these are in your area of operation, are you going to have that
capability?  You may want to visit with your local Emergency Management
folks, or SO and FD, see what they can bring to the table.

Don't take your organs to heaven,
heaven knows we need them down here!