Re: [TowerTalk] Tuning Antennas with the MFJ-259

To: "'AD5VJ Bob'" <rtnmi@sbcglobal.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tuning Antennas with the MFJ-259
From: "Dick Dievendorff" <dieven@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 12:23:11 -0700
I think many of us tune antennas at or near ground, and then put them up,
and find that the resonant frequency changes with height. I write down the
values on the ground and at altitude, then bring it down again and estimate
what the on-ground setting should be to cause it to resonate where I want it
to when it's put up again.  Usually that's good enough.  If you keep
reasonable records sometimes you can avoid an extra trip up and down.

If you can hoist the antenna at all, temporarily, then maybe your trips up
and down can be made more easily.

Low band antennas sometimes hear enough AM broadcast signals that it's
difficult to tune an antenna near the BC band with any analyzer.  I often
use a small transmitter.

Dick, K6KR