Re: [TowerTalk] Tuning Antennas with the MFJ-259

To: towertalk@contesting.com, rtnmi@sbcglobal.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tuning Antennas with the MFJ-259
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 21:50:07 EDT

In a message dated 3/28/2009 12:01:54 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  I am looking at getting an MFJ antenna analyzer and would  like to ask the
group (because I am sure there are many users of  the
analyzer here) three things:

>  1. Can you tune an  antenna while it is not erected, like laying on a work
table with this  analyzer, or do you have to have it
installed and in place first and can  you tune it with the coax hooked up or
do you have to be at the  antenna.

Great question.  You're not really going to "tune" it (unless of course your
antenna analyzer  measurements indicate you should). Your going to check it
for resonance. You can  check any antenna for resonance. It might not resonate
where you want but that's  another discussion.

        When you have a yagi on the  ground after assembly, by all means hook
up your antenna analyzer and take a  look. Since it's close to the ground, an
HF yagi will resonate somewhere below  where it's tuned for. That's added
ground capacitance influencing the  antenna. A 40M antenna might resonate
somewhere down at 6.7 or so. No big deal.  What you're REALLY looking for is
that it
LOOKS like an antenna. That is, that  it dips SOMEWHERE. If it does, it's a
bouncing baby antenna. If not, start  checking everything; e.g. measurements,
connections, manual, etc.

        Once you see a dip, then  you can install the antenna. Using a
tramline, you can run the antenna up  and take a measurement. Then you can
lower it
and make any adjustments to tune  it. Run it up and down as many times as you
need and you're good to go.

        Works every time.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC