Re: [TowerTalk] Tuning Antennas with the MFJ-259

To: "'Jim Brown'" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, "'Tower Talk List'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tuning Antennas with the MFJ-259
From: "Bill Parry" <bparry@rgv.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 13:30:47 -0500
I concur with Jim.  I put up my full size sloper on 80 several years ago.  I
started  by making an inverted vee about 30 feet high.  I tuned it for the
correct frequency.  Then I hoisted up one end to 120 feet and pulled the
other end out to about 40 degrees. It required very little trimming to get
it to resonate at the right freq.  I suspect that moving an inverted vee
from 30 ft to 60 feet will not change the freq much. An inverted vee on 80
will be easy to prune once you get it up at 60 feet anyway.

If you put a 1/4 wave of 75 ohm coax (I use RG6 because it is lighter)
between the antenna and the 50 ohm coax it will further broaden the response
of the antenna.

Bill W5VX