Re: [TowerTalk] weight and sq. ft antenna limits on rohn 25 and 45

To: towertalk@contesting.com, NE6V@roadrunner.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] weight and sq. ft antenna limits on rohn 25 and 45
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 19:25:03 EDT

In a message dated 3/26/2009 5:55:05 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  Can someone update me as to the limits for Rohn25 and 45  towers
please.Max weight and how much  antenna can each  hold?

    I'm not sure if anyone addressed your question.  It looks like you need a
Rohn catalog. There are cd versions around (I'm sure  a TT'er could get one
to you) and also there are some online catalogs  available.

    To answer your question, I've never seen a max  weight figure for any
tower. They use a combination of antenna area and  windspeed to come up with a
tower loading figure. (And I think you meant how  much each "tower" can hold.)

One thing to keep in mind is that for 45G, Rohn  has already deducted 8
square feet for a "symmetrical mount" at the top of the  tower so you can add
it
back in for ham radio loading purposes. This doesn't  apply for 25G

>  Are these the best of the non crackups or which other(s) can  anyone
suggest?

Crank-ups are the most expensive tower  structure so if you want to spend the
most dollars for your tower, that's the  way to go. Otherwise your decision
is probably between a guyed tower and a  self-supporter.

Cheers,
Steve   K7LXC
TOWER TECH