Re: [TowerTalk] Pull ropes in buried PVC

To: "'Glenn Thorne'" <gathorne@traer.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Pull ropes in buried PVC
From: "Daron Wilson" <daron@wilson.org>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 20:17:52 -0700
The question is how to make the 'head', the interface of the pulling rope to
the product.  The simplest commercial way is a cable grip, a device made of
steel wire much like the 'chinese finger cuff' kind of thing, you slip it
over the cable, pull it tight and wrap with tape.  Andrew makes a hoisting
grip for various sizes of cables that laces up the side, so you can slip it
around existing cables and then unlace it when they are in place.

The less expensive way is a few half hitches around the coax, then wrap the
head with tape and pull it.

Unless you are hoisting a hundred feet of really heavy line, I don't see a
problem with careful half hitches.  If you use mule tape, it lays nicely
against the cable and doesn't deform the jacket.  We pull miles of fiber
optics and the like with a simple clove hitch backed up with a couple of
half hitches and a tight wrap of electrical tape.

Good luck