[TowerTalk] Compacted vs. Undisturbed Soil

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Compacted vs. Undisturbed Soil
From: Dick Flanagan <dick@k7vc.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 11:53:43 -0700
A friend of mine is installing his first tower.  It is a US Tower
HDX454.  (I thinks that's the right number.  I have an HDX572 and his
is the next one shorter than mine.)

He had the tower specs checked by a local PE for the requisite wet
stamp needed for his building permit.  The PE calculated and
specified a tower footing of 5'x5'x7.5' in undisturbed soil.

His contractor dug him a 10'x10'x8' hole and is going to put a
5'x5'x8' plywood frame in the hole enclosing the rebar cage.  He is
then going to fill the frame with concrete and when it cures is going
to remove the frame and back-fill the hole with compacted soil.

My friend is being told that properly compacted back-fill is the
equivalent of undisturbed soil.  Is that true??

Dick
--
Dick Flanagan K7VC
dick@k7vc.com