Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor for Long Cable Run

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor for Long Cable Run
From: n8cc@mei.net
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 01:22:38 -0400 (EDT)
Jim,

I currently have four Alfa Spids in use here.  The shortest cable
run is 400 feet, the longest almost 600 feet. Four wire control
helps cut rotor cable costs.

I?ve never had issues with the pulse feedback system at those
distances.  As far as reliability, I took a lightning strike a
few years ago that blew the pothead right off one of the rotors.
I glued it back together with JB Weld and it is Still in service.

I?ve found the DC motors retain most of their torque over a
wide range of voltages.  Three of the four rotors successfully
turn side-mounted stacks on swinging gates, unbalanced loads
that would be a tough test for any rotor.

When I got my first Alfa Spid, computer control was not a priority
for me either.  Now I wouldn't be without it.

73,  Jeff ? N8CC