Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor for Long Cable Run

To: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotor for Long Cable Run
From: "David Branson KC0LL" <KC0LL@HOTMAIL.COM>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 23:01:19 -0700
SteppIR makes a high voltage supply for long cable runs. And the cable [is]
wound with pairs, they give the ohm-out in the book and it is on line.

For a rotator, I used the Alpha Spid and a Green Heron controller. This is a
great Controller, I did some beta testing for them, works great. I could turn
the Alpha Spid rotator a mile away if I wanted, with 4 small wires. I really
don't like the Alpha Spid all that much, but for a long cable run it would work
good. You just raise the DC supply voltage to get it to turn about 1 RPM. The
Spid is made "rough" in many ways, and mine would not fit a 2 inch mast, I had
to bore it out! But it is also made strong. The mail gear looks like it came
out of a truck's rear end! And, after having it up for a while it still works,
I guess that is the bottom line.

David F. Branson

Senior Technician
Action Communications, Inc.
Tucson, AZ
520.792.0326
520.792.2709 fax
KC0LL@comcast.net
www.kc0ll.net
www.ActionCommunications.com

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
--- Abraham Lincoln

Freedom isn't Free, Support our Troops