[TowerTalk] MACAntenna

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] MACAntenna
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 07:41:00 -0400
This year at Dayton, there was a vendor (www.mactenna.net)
demonstrating something called the SB20-10 Simple Beam.  The basic
principle was described in a QST article in September 2008, applied
to a wire dipole, and I remember at the time thinking "You've gotta
be kidding."  Now, however, the inventor has incorporated the idea in
a 3-element yagi, and unless he has cooked the books, the EZNEC
models look pretty good.  On all 5 bands between 20 and 10 meters,
the models show very similar pattern and gain numbers and excellent
SWR bandwidth, all without motors, moving parts (other than relay
contacts), and at a decently low price.

The manufacturer's web site is very forthcoming with information,
which tends to inspire confidence.  Still, I'd appreciate  hearing
what the gurus among us think.

73, Pete N4ZR
New Articles Daily - the Contesting Compendium at http://wiki.contesting.com
The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com