Re: [TowerTalk] Gluing rope

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Gluing rope
From: <donovanf@starpower.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 11:39:00 -0400 (EDT)
Tod,

A sheave is the grooved wheel in a pulley or block.

In antenna support applications, there is often a great deal of rope motion
over a pulley during windy conditions.  Rope wearout is usually caused by this
repeated motion.

An incorrectly sized sheave will significantly reduce rope life if:
 - the diameter measured at the center of the groove is less than eight times
the rope diameter, or
 - the depth and width of the U-shaped groove is improperly sized so that it
does not support at least 1/3 of the rope circumference.

A sheave should be sized so that the sheave diameter measured at the center of
the U-shaped groove is at least eight times the rope diameter.  Rope life will
be extended with increased sheave diameter.

The width of the U-shaped groove should be approximately 10 percent greater
than rope diameter.  The depth of the U-shaped groove should be approximately
1/2 the rope diameter.  If you change rope diameter, the pulley should always
be replaced with a new pulley with the correct groove width and depth.

You can extend rope life by rigging the rope so that it wraps around as little
of the sheave circumference as possible.  A rope that wraps around half of the
sheave circumference will have a much longer life than a rope that wraps almost
entirely around the sheave.

73
Frank
W3LPL