Re: [TowerTalk] Neighbor Friendly Towers/Antennas

To: richard@karlquist.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Neighbor Friendly Towers/Antennas
From: Kelly Johnson <n6kj.kelly@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 18:13:24 -0800
I have a Force 12 LPT1242.  I used it for a couple of years at my
previous QTH.  It's now used every Field Day.  You can crank it up and
down with a reasonably high torque power drill.  I went through 3
drills before I found one with suitable torque, but once you find the
right one it goes up and down with ease.

One thing to consider, though, is that antennas look much bigger when
close to the ground.  I now have a 54' lattice crankup tower and I
only crank it down for windy weather.  The antenna is much more
intrusive when cranked down.  Most people don't notice it when cranked
up.  When I first installed it, my neighbor across the street
complained like crazy about the impact to property values and such.
He moved 6 months later and sold his home for the asking price of
$999,000.  The new neighbors never even knew my tower was there until
my wife asked them about it a couple weeks after they moved in.