Re: [TowerTalk] Neighbor Friendly Towers/Antennas

To: "Derek Cohn/WB0TUA" <vibroplex@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Neighbor Friendly Towers/Antennas
From: Alfred Frugoli <ke1fo@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 23:12:18 -0500
Hi Derek,

I have both a C3S and an MA5B.  Don't bother with the MA5B.  If you don't
want to go the steppir route, then I'd consider the C3SS, but I'd think the
steppir would be the best choice.

As far as cranking up/down, it's doable for almost anybody.  The question is
how long does it take you.  I know the 55' crankup used at one FD site I've
been to took 3 guys working 2 shifts of about 2 minutes each to raise it (so
about 10-12 minutes).  But if you figure that's 2 minutes 4 minutes off, the
time expands quite a bit with only one person.

I've rarely heard of any problems with the motor drive systems.  Also, at
least the US Tower models have a "positive pull down" feature on their motor
drives which actually pulls the sections down rather than relying on
gravity.  Prevents sections from getting jammed if you're trying to lower
the tower when it is windy.

Good luck with your decision.

73 de Al, KE1FO

-----