Re: [TowerTalk] More Rohn

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] More Rohn
From: cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 19:54:48 EST

In a message dated 1/5/2010 11:56:30 PM Greenwich Standard Time,
k2owr@comcast.net writes:

::::  Actually I put that same tower back up at my new qth about 6 months
later.  It was not damaged seriously.
It was dumb how it happened. I was down to  the last 4 sections, where the
first set of guys were, and in a fit of  sheer "stupid" it seemed like a
good
idea,
as long as I was up there,  to unhook the guy cable over the leg of that
section, then climb down and  initiate a sort of controlled fall to speed
up
the  process.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Man, reading that gave me sweaty palms.

It reminds me of when I had climbed the 180 footer tower for maybe  the
third or fourth time that day, unhooking and hooking to go past the  sidemounts
and guy wires and finally made it to the top.  I began to lean  back away
from the tower and something in my mind told me something wasn't  right.  It
wasn't.  I had forgotten to put the lanyard back around the  tower when I
reached the top.  Luckily, I had not leaned back far enough to  fall and
quickly went parallel to the tower again.  I started shaking,  thinking how
close
I had come to being a silent key.  I wrapped the lanyard  around the tower
and headed back down...very slowly, done with any tower work  for that day.

Lesson, don't climb when tired.

NBill KH7XS/K4XS