Re: [TowerTalk] LP v SteppIR

To: n4zr@contesting.com, "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] LP v SteppIR
From: n8de@thepoint.net
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 15:46:40 -0500
LPs can be stacked for better gain/FB by tilting them so the front
elements are closer and the back elements are farther away.  This way,
the spacing on higher bands is closer (optimized?) as is the spacing
on the lower frequency bans.

This is the ORIGINAL orientation of LP elements in the work of Dr.
Duhamel of Collins Radio in the 1950' and 1960's.

Not a very "attractive" arrangement, but effective, according to his
work/data.

Don
N8DE

Quoting Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>:

> Stacking them would be fundamentally like stacking triband or 5-band
> yagis - any stacking distance is a compromise, so you model them at
> various spacings and go with the one that looks the best, given your
> interests, the time in the sunspot cycle, etc.
>
> 73, Pete N4ZR
> Visit the Contesting Compendium at http://wiki.contesting.com
> The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net
>

> On 1/22/2010 3:08 PM, Doug Turnbull wrote:
>> How does one stack two log periodic antennas which operate over such a wide
>> range of frequencies?   I thought the stacking distance was dependent on the
>> frequency.   Now if one is using them so that one can take advantage of
>> signals arriving at different angles that is a different consideration.
>>
>> The SteppIR does have a very quick 2/3 second reverse pattern feature which
>> is a dream to use in contests and the additional FB ratio is especially
>> handy in these conditions.   The SteppIR can also be used for dual direction
>> work.   How does the wind loading of a 4 element SteppIR compare to the LP
>> which offers roughly the equivalent performance of a two element Yagi.
>>
>> I suppose there is no one answer for us all but SteppIR has certainly added
>> a new consideration to our choice.
>>
>>              73 Doug EI2CN

>>> for what they achieve?   Wind  loading is as important to me as gain and