Re: [TowerTalk] Tilt Up Tower

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tilt Up Tower
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 01:28:19 -0400

> Gary "Joe" Mayfield wrote:
>
>> I have an HDBX-48 that I hope to put up in a couple of months.  The base
>>
> is

Are you going to have any thing on the tower when you tilt it up?

"As to the over the roof" with a car/jeep/winch there are some safety
issues in addition to the obvious or some one driving off the
momentarily unattended vehicle.   The HDBX is not a heavy weight tower
and not terribly difficult to tip up at the 48' with a good crew. Weight
on top (rotator and antenna) complicates things in a hurry.

If the house has a low pitch roof the initial pull against the tower
base can be tremendous and possubly enough to cause failure.

We put up a 50', 25G *with* a tribander AND rotator using the "rope over
the roof", but with man power only,  The 25G is considerably heavier
than the 48' HDBX. There were 3 men lifting the tower, one on the roof
supporting the rope, two out in the driveway pulling on said rope, AND 2
manning a relatively short extension ladder as a prop against the tower.
As we'd raise the tower the two in the drive would take up rope and as
soon as the tower was high enough the ladder was used as a prop. This
meant the ladder took over holding about time the angle become such that
the three lifting the tower had reached *their* load limit.  Between
them pushing, the two on the ladder pushing, and the two in the driveway
pulling we made it up.

We all knew this was near our limits, and we had a minimal crew who knew
what they were doing,  so it was done in such a manner that if it failed
or got away from us, the antenna and tower were to be sacrificed. IOW if
it's reached the point of too much to handle, just get out of the way
and let 'er go.

It would have been a lot easier if we'd had three "heavy weights" on the
rope in the driveway and one more for a total of 4 lifting on the
tower.  The extra two would have made it much easier and safer.

What I don't like about using power winches is there is little feel for
the operator to know what is happening while physically pulling on the
rope doesn't have near the power it does have plenty of feed back. <:-))

73 & good luck,

Roger (K8RI)