Re: [TowerTalk] HFTA and diferent bands antennas

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HFTA and diferent bands antennas
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 17:52:53 -0700
David Gilbert wrote:
> The REAL Swiss Army knife for antenna modeling would, in my opinion,
> combine the terrain analysis of HFTA with the antenna modeling
> capability of NEC .... and do it for both transmit and receive.  I
> remain convinced that, especially for low angle signals, asymmetric
> terrain that "looks different" to an outgoing signal than it does to an
> incoming signal can cause dramatically different signal levels on the
> two ends of a QSO even if all other considerations (power level,
> antennas, noise level, ground conditions, etc) are equal.

I don't know about that... That would imply a violation of reciprocity,
wouldn't it?

I would believe non-symmetric propagation via skywave, but not that the
"effective antenna pattern" is different for transmit/receive.

  N6BV even
> alludes to that possibility in the ARRL Antenna Book discussion of
> HFTA.  I've privately encouraged him ... begged is probably a more
> accurate description  ... to write an arrival angle version of HFTA, and
> he indicated that if he ever decided to tackle such a task it would be
> sometime in the future.  I fully understand that.  It would be a totally
> different and probably much more complex problem since the incoming
> signal wouldn't be a point source like the outgoing signal is.  Still,
> I'm desperately hoping he gives it a try some time.
>
> And of course there's always vertical polarization .... ;)

which makes the reflection calculations MUCH more complex (for
horizontal, it's much easier)