[TowerTalk] ionosphere and ground reflections of radio signals

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] ionosphere and ground reflections of radio signals
From: "Al Williams" <alwilliams@olywa.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 08:04:33 -0700
> When it comes to "pure" reflection you are dealing with the normal
>  >reciprocity.
> When you are dealing with a wave traveling through a charged media
> interacting with a magnetic field,
> such as the ionosphere, now the reciprocity is no longer there.
>
> Hans- N2JFS

I can't recall, in the dozen or so books on antennas etc. that I have, an
explanation of the reflection mechanism.  Maybe it is in there in the math
but not in more simple terms. I vaguely remember, but not where I read it,
that the traveling wave into a ionosphere media gets bent because of the
action of the wave on the existing electrons (or atoms?). But is it because
of the electric or magnetic field? And what about the reflection from the
ground --electric, magnetic field, horizontal or vertical polarization,
etc.Why is the exit angle identical to the entrance angle.

Understanding radio waves and propagation is a rather challenging and slow
process for me. It doesn't help to simply state that the action is identical
to light rays!

k7puc