Re: [TowerTalk] 2" OD tubing inside a Rohn 25AG2

To: towertalk@contesting.com, k0is@iowatelecom.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 2" OD tubing inside a Rohn 25AG2
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 13:38:30 EDT

In a message dated 5/2/2010 9:59:22 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  Tom,  There is no way I would use ANY aluminum  tubing as a mast at any
time.  In this case there are three
problems.....aluminum....tubing.....length.  Tubing is not pipe and that
length of it with any substantial weight,
i.e. windload, is inviting  disaster.  Another section of tower is the ONLY
correct and safe way to  achieve the height you're after.  It's cheaper to
do it right once than  to do it twice to GET it right.  For what it's
worth....I'm no  expert.  I'd be interested to see what K7LXC has to say about
your  question.

    Well, like the engineers say - it depends. Of  course for an aggressive
installation of stacked big yagis or a moderate  installation in a high
wind area you should use a carbon alloy steel tubing  mast of appropriate
dimensions and strength. For small to moderate  installations many times an
aluminum mast (35 kpsi yield strength) will work  fine. Not everyone needs a
chro-moly mast for $600. Heck, if you're just  putting up a 3L tribander at the
top of the tower, even water pipe will be  okay since there's very little in
the way of bending moment on the mast.

    There's a whole chapter on masts in my UP THE  TOWER book available
from _www.championradio.com_ (http://www.championradio.com) .

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
Champion Radio Products