Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna switching board ?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna switching board ?
From: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 10:11:28 -0500
I don't think you understood the question.  He just wants to have his
hamshack in his garage.  He doesn't want to remote control anything,
but he wants to be able to use his rigs and antennas etc. in any
combination possible.

Paul, I had the same idea for my shack but have not thought it through
all the way yet.  I started out thinking about all my rigs, and
antennas and what a mess of switches and coax nightmare I'd have every
time I wanted to run a transmitter with some different receiver and
one antenna or another etc.  Next I actually thought about having
every piece of gear on a little dolly so everything could be wheeled
around.  Yes, I seriously considered that but more like small racks on
wheels with all my stuff rack mounted.  Then I hit on your idea of a
patch panel, or UHF jack matrix in a rack panel and wired so I could
use coax jumpers to swap receivers, transmitters and antennas around.
 I would need to construct the panel, wire everything to it and make a
bunch of jumper cables.  I have not thought of a better idea yet.

yes, you have to have everything out from the wall especially if you
are making a work bench.   And, (very important) the depth of the
bench has to be a lot.   (Unrelated but worth mentioning) you need at
least four feet for room for the test gear, space between the test
gear and the wall, _and_ plenty of room in front of them for the
device being worked on.

73

Rob
K5UJ