Re: [TowerTalk] Re Plumbing a Tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re Plumbing a Tower
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 01:31:03 -0700
When I plumbed the base for my 70 foot freestanding tower I used one of
these gadgets:

http://www.wixey.com/anglegauge/index.html

I checked it six ways to Sunday beforehand and found it to be way more
accurate than anything else I had available, and repeatable to +/- 0.1
degree.  Notice that I didn't say it was ACCURATE to a tenth of a
degree, but that's only because I didn't have anything that accurate to
check it against.  All that's really required, though, is to make sure
all tower legs give the same reading in order for the tower to be
vertical .... even for a tapered tower.

For $40 (shipping included) it isn't much more expensive than a decent
level.  Irregularities in the surface plating of the tower could affect
the reading over the small size of the Wixey, but the easy remedy for
that is simply to attach the Wixey to a length of known straight steel
before slapping it up against the tower leg.

73,
Dave   AB7E