Re: [TowerTalk] Re Plumbing a Tower

To: Robrk <robrk@nidhog.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re Plumbing a Tower
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 10:11:42 -0700
Robrk wrote:
> How about one of the laser level light beam things? I have the cheap, $39,
> Craftsman, that shoots a red line, vertical or horizontal with bubbles. It
> has a camera tripod hole in the bottom.
> More dollars gets auto leveling, digital readout and a mount for the owl.
>
> Sent from my iPad

The challenge is the beam divergence on these inexpensive levels.  If
it's basically a laser pointer in a housing, then a divergence of a few
milliradians is typical.  That means the beam spreads about 0.5%.. at
the top of a 100 ft tower, the spot is 6" in diameter.  (and it's hard
to see in the daytime).

They work great indoors across a room at 15 feet (the spot is still nice
and small).