Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning Protection Question

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning Protection Question
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 09:46:07 -0700
On Sun, 12 Sep 2010 09:20:13 -0700, Al Williams wrote:

>What word or phrase might best describe the above-- anomaly, metaphor ...?

>"close as practical"  is variable?

One of my favorite EE profs liked to use the words "zero length" to
emphasize the potential significance of stray inductance, stray
capacitance, and stray resistance in any given circuit. SIMPLE circuits
assume ideal components, with those ZERO length leads. Real circuits have
those strays (some folks call them parasitics).

Some ignorant people like to talk about the difference between theory and
reality, as if there is something wrong with the science. In fact, there is
NO difference between fundamental science principles and reality -- those
ignorant folks are simply ignoring important parts of the problem, like
stray C, stray L, and stray R. Hence, my own personal way of saying it --
"if you think there's a difference between theory and reality, you don't
know enough about one or the other."

73, Jim K9YC