Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning Protection Question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning Protection Question
From: Ian White GM3SEK <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 17:20:26 +0100
Doug Renwick wrote:
>Just a minute.  Using the words theory and fundamental science
>principles interchangeably is flawed.  There is a big definition
>difference between these two.  Theory can be defined as an assumption
>or guess which is clearly different from fundamental science principles.

The word "theory" has two different definitions that are almost
completely opposite to each other. The only flaw is if you use the wrong
one.

The US National Academy of Sciences sums it up very neatly:

"The formal scientific definition of theory is quite different from the
everyday meaning of the word. It refers to a comprehensive explanation
of some aspect of nature that is supported by a vast body of evidence."

That kind of "theory" is our bedrock of verified knowledge about
physical reality.  It underpins the whole of antenna and tower
engineering, so any apparent contradictions in this area are strictly
due to our own lack of knowledge or understanding.

When Jim Brown says "If you think there's a difference between theory
and reality, you don't know enough about one or the other," nobody in
this forum should doubt which definition of "theory" he means.

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek