Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning Protection Question

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning Protection Question
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 10:04:00 -0700
On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 05:25:41 -0700, Jim Thomson wrote:

> Now whether the super duper, type 31 cookbook
>5 k+ ohm balun

It is NOT A BALUN, it is a CHOKE.

>will impede the lightning is debatable.

It will act like any other impedance in series with a discharge path --
cause lightning to look for a lower impedance path to earth, perhaps
arcing to that alternate path or across the choke, dividing between that
lower impedance path and the choke, and the voltage across the choke
will produce heat in the choke. The impedance we're talking about here
is the impedance at the frequency of the lightning energy, which IEEE
data says has a broad peak around 1 MHz, extending a couple of octaves
on either side. (An octave is a 2:1 frequency ratio).

73, Jim K9YC