Re: [TowerTalk] 80-m. Inverted Vee vs. Dipole Performance

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80-m. Inverted Vee vs. Dipole Performance
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 16:10:48 -0400

On 9/15/2010 3:23 PM, Jim McDonald wrote:
> The half sloper has been popular for many years and has been described in
> ARRL handbooks and antenna manuals.
OTOH the half sloper can be cantankerous to feed.  Some towers and
antenna combinations can be very difficult. Mine was just cut, put in
place and use...more or less.
>   I Googled and found some pictures at
> http://www.dxzone.com/dx20445/80-m-sloper.html .  I use a HB bracket similar
> to the one on that website, with an SO-239 mounted on it and the bracket
> mounted to a leg of the tower.  You use only half the length (i.e., one leg)
> of an inverted vee.
>
> I have one for 75M that has a 5' extension with an alligator clip with an
> insulator between them.  If I don't want to use an antenna tuner, I drop the
> end of the antenna and clip on the 5' extension for 80M.
>
> They can be frustrating to find the length that works at the desired
> frequency, so start long.
That's why they make antenna tuners. <:-))
About 2/3 rds the way down on my tower project page
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/tower.htm are 4 images of how I
constructed the feed point and mount for my 160 half sloper.  Clicking
on the images will give nearly full screen.

On 160 I did have to adjust the length a bit to get it to be agreeable
with the matching network across the whole band.  Make it too long and
arching can be a problem in the tuner.

I'd not expect 75 to be quite so fussy.  Also use two wires with the
ends fanned out as in one half of a fan dipole to get it to cover more
of the band without retuning.  I put the ends of the wires about 3 to 4'
apart and cut them to different lengths. OTOH I have only a single,
center fed, half wave sloper on 75 at the moment.

73

Roger (K8RI)