Re: [TowerTalk] Newbee concrete rebar questions

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Newbee concrete rebar questions
From: Tom Anderson <andersonww5l@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 19:22:48 -0700 (PDT)
All:

When I put in the base for my TriEx W51 crank up back in 1993 I used the same
size rebar the base was made of by TriEx.  I forgot the exact size, but it was
the same diameter just in 3 ft sections I found at a home improvement store.
They fit well within the base which is approx 4x4x6.

To attach it to the base I used the same twist wire that they use on interstate
and state highway rebar and twisted it with a pair of lineman's pliers until
the short piece was snug against the base pieces.

A friend of mine WB5IUU had a wooden "mold" support for the base that he had
made for his W51 years before and we just sat the whole base on that for
support before pouring the concrete.  The concrete sits up about 3-4 inches
above ground to keep water from my yard collecting on the concrete.

Next, we used what some in the concrete trade called a six sack mix, supposedly
the same slump and mixture as used on interstate highway bridges.  We bought
the concrete from a concrete co. who brought their truck and pump and forced
the mixture about 75 feet into the backyard and into the hole.

After filling the hole and mold, we smoothed it out and then sprayed water
lightly on it for about a week to keep the concrete cool while it was curing.
I didn't attach the tower to the base until about a month later when everything
seemed fairly dry, although they say it can take months for a slab that size to
fully cure.

Some 17 years later the tower is still attached to the base and the concrete.
Nary a problem with it in that time, not even a crack anywhere I can see. The
base has supported the fully extended tower through some 60-70 mph winds in the
Dallas-Fort Worth area with nary a problem, when I couldn't get home to crank
it down.

Tom, WW5L