Re: [TowerTalk] Cushcraft Parts from MFJ

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cushcraft Parts from MFJ
From: Andy <ai.egrps@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 09:58:56 -0500
> Why not just make 1-3..that actually work ?   One simple tuner..minus the
> metering
> is all anybody wants.  Nobody needs a dummy load, with a built in.. has been
>  wattmeter.
> Just build one dummy load, sans metering.

Because not everyone needs a multi-KW antenna tuner.

And I'm sure many (myself included) find the metering quite handy, to
know where to set the controls.  1 box is easier than 2 or 3.

And some like auto-tuners.

(BTW, I don't own an MFJ tuner.)

Part of what distinguishes MFJ is the choices they offer, from cheap
basics for the penny pinchers, to something more substantial.  One
size doesn't fit all.  They'd lose a lot of business if they sold only
one tuner.

Do they really need so many antenna tuner models?  Doubtful.  Would
the tuners or the company be better if they dropped 90% of them?  Also
very doubtful.  They need to concentrate on quality control more,
whether they are shipping one product or hundreds.  I think that's the
bigger problem.  As in having employees whose sole job is overseeing
QC, and re-structuring how the assembly floor works.  They don't get
that by pruning their product line.

I don't really know much about MFJ, but in some respects I think they
still have the small company mentality, from Mr. Jue on down.  From
what little I've seen of them, the folks who assemble each product are
small teams, almost separate entities, even though the company has a
huge product line.  And neither size nor longevity equates to skill.
There's little reason to change how you do business, if you are making
a profit at it.

If the rumor of a possible buyout are true, perhaps Martin Jue is just
looking to retire.  He is 66 and has been running it for four decades.

Regards,
Andy